An airline fare is usually cheaper when there is a layover. The hours of waiting for the next segment of your flight can be a good transition. I see it as an opportunity to do something fun.
1. Do a culinary tour of an airport. My flight from Phoenix to Mexico City with United had a layover at Houston International Airport. At Terminal E, I had seaweed salad at The Market, oysters and shrimps at the popular Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen, and some tasty fingerling potatoes at Cat Cora’s Kitchen.
2. Explore the current art exhibitions inside the airport. Not only is walking good for you, but art hunting is also fun. For example, I was fortunate to see Arizona’s 100-anniversary celebration at Phoenix Airport by famous artists such as Merrill Mahaffey’s paintings of the Grand Canyon.
3. Do a quick tour of a downtown area. Cities such as San Francisco, Seattle and Boston has a train conveniently located at the airport.
4. Plan ahead and visit people you have not seen for awhile. My flight from Phoenix to Rio de Janeiro with American had a layover in New York. After a night sleep at the lower east side, I was able to meet up the next day with a friend over breakfast at Wholefoods in Union Square, lunch with my friends at their upper east side apartment, then a van shuttle took me back to the airport.
5. Reserve ahead of time and check-in to an inexpensive hotel near the airport where you can catch up on work or a much-needed sleep.